Saturday, July 25, 2009

Century Tour for 2009 Cornhusker State Games

The Cornhusker State Games Bicycle Tour had it's century riders meeting at 6:30 and we got started at 6:45. Riders could also ride 25 or 50 mile distances. I heard something like 110 cyclists total with 37 in the century, but I don't know if I've got that right. The ride began in Elkhorn, went west, then north, then east into Herman, we then went south into Blair, then North into Tekamah, before turning back to Herman and back to Elkhorn the way we came. Click here for the map.

I was happy to get started, hours later... maybe not so much, but 1st thing in the morning, I was stoked!

A couple of other Lincoln cyclists slowed down and let me ride with them the whole day. The three of us have rode together on the Nacho Ride, TDN, Ride of Silence and he and I rode in Seward on the 4th. Ever notice how much faster and better you ride when your with others than you do alone? I couldn't have completed the ride without their encouragement. We always have fun together, and the century was no exception! At our first SAG stop we checked out the 'rest rooms' (corn field) and hamed it up for a "bikers of the corn" picture. The Bike Rack, Tour Director Jim Carveth, many volunteers, and CSG staff did a great job organizing and putting on the Tour!

Riding with those "cycling animals" from Lincoln was tough, but to try to fit in, and show my mite, I executed my best "Ggggrrrrr!" for the camera as a show of my strength and stamina.

As usual, they dusted me, he would usually do it without even pedaling! They even look fast in pictures!

The chance to visit and build friendships with like minded people that understand your struggles and appreciate your accomplishments is one of my favorite aspects of cycling.

Once in awhile they'd even use their brakes and let me pull ahead to stroke my ego and for a good photo opp. Look at them tear up the road between Blair and Tekamah!

This cemetery was conveniently located adjacent to the tour route for anyone attempting a century. Ha! Really, the weather was pretty good. We drank a lot, but the heat wasn't terrible, we had to push through some pretty good wind toward the middle of the ride, but had it push us through the last 30 miles, and that was a blessing, because the end of the long ride is the hardest part.

The road is marked so cyclists know where to turn. This was our turnaround point in Tekamah at about mile 60 (?) she and I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a pic to celebrate the moment, and more importantly, to celebrate our chance to turn out of the wind and have it push us.

On every big ride some door knob has to get a flat... today... yea, it was me.

But hey, I did get a job offer out of the deal! The guys from the Bike Rack were so impressed with how fast I changed out the tube, they offered me a job back at the shop. Hmm, bikes + pay, don't temp me, I'm a weak man!

Signs lined the road with everything from sweet corn to puppies.

But this took the cake! Here was a rooster and hen carved out of bushes in the front yard of a home in Elk City. What a hoot!

Proof! 100 miles on the trip setting on the odometer just before arriving back in Elkhorn.

The three of us rolled into Elkhorn around 3:30 together after a long exhausting day of fun on two wheels. I believe it was his first century, and the first one she'd done in many, many years and her first ever on a road bike. This was my first century on an organized ride. I want to thank her for the pics and thank them both for making this epic ride so fun!

Today's miles 100.95 Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails