Monday, July 20, 2009

Sounds of Monday's commute: Click... Drip... Click... Drip...

Going to work I had 15 minutes of sprinkles and around 5 minutes of rain, the other 30 minutes were pretty dry.

Since last week I've been hearing this annoying "click" that kept pace with my cadiance. With every pedal stroke there would be a click that seemed to come from the bottom bracket.

I feared a bearing was going out. Last week I had Matt at Bike Pedalers put it up on the stand and take a look at it. He noticed I had a loose pedal, tightened it and said that was possibly what was making the sound...

I was glad that he discovered that problem, but the clicking persisted, by today I was sure I had a major problem. I don't want to be stranded on this weekends century so I decided to stop to have them take another look.

Matt is out to lunch, so Welder Steve takes a look at it, and rides my bike around, and says my bearings are fine and that the "click" is my seat post wiggling in the tube and resignating through the frame. He notices that the sound stops when you stand up off the seat.

Sure my seat wiggles a little, its common with a seat with the shock absorbing seat post on a comfort bike like mine. And sure enough, I realize he's right, when I coast and move around on my seat it'll click just like it does when I peddal.

It's good to hear that I don't need a major repair, and I don't want to replace my cushy throne, so I guess I'll just learn to get used to the click sound. (or stand up all the time ...nah!)

I left work on time and was able to avoid the late afternoon rain. I could see the storm clouds rolling in on my way home, but was relaxing on the couch in my living room before they opened up and gave Lincoln it's second rain of the day.

I added the 'cat mailbox' pic just for the heck of it. I cruse by it everyday on my commute and always get a kick out of it. Thought you might like it too.

Today's ride got what will probally be a 200 mile week off to a 20.37 mile start.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails