Thursday, June 11, 2009

Slow and Go report.

It was fun. Slow? Not so much. We went from the bench on the Rock Island Trail behind Shopko down Hwy 77 then West to Sprauge and back the same way. Did we stop to eat, visit or rest? No. Our feet hardly touched the ground.

Going down hills with the wind we'd go over 20 mph, up hills against the wind I'd gear down and go as slow as 11 mph. The trip was 26.30 miles and we did it in well under 2 hrs.

There were six of us. I was the only one without a road, cross, or time trial bike It wasn't an impossible pace, but for me and my 43 lb bike it was a good workout.

Maybe it is different on other weeks. But I wouldn't call it a leisurely ride. I've got to say everyone was ultra cool and we chated the whole time. (me, in broken sentences from trying to keep up) We all stayed togther, and if one of us fell back someone would ride with us. And the leaders would wait at times for us to regroup.

All in all, it was a fun ride that I'd recommend to any experienced cyclist or anyone that can maintain around 14 mph on a trip that distance. If your hoping to troll around on your beach cruiser stopping to smell the roses this isn't for you. But if your looking to burn the cobs out and break a sweat be at the bench on thursday at 6. You'll love the slow and go!

Today's work commute & the slow and go yeilded me 46.80 miles.

1 comment:

  1. Slow and go is usually this way. It's sort of a training ride for the folks who don't feel up to the wednesday night ride. Which is a training ride for those of us who can't keep up with any racing clubs.

    Hope you had fun. If the weather is decent I'll probably head out this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails