Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Staightnin' the curves, Flatnin' the hills...

Nothing like a great fall bike ride in the country to bring back old memories!

I had the day off work, so late this morning I derailed into the little ring and spun into the wind. I took the Billy Wolff to the Rock Island then South to the Jamaica North then down the Homestead about halfway to Cortland before turning back to Lincoln. Then some effortless sailing in the big ring all the way back. Back on the edge of Lincoln, I tried some single track in Wilderness Park before heading home.

Then, tonight our youngest and I took our bikes to church.

One of my most vivid childhood memories was laying on my side with one elbow on the floor and my head in my hand with the Dukes on the RCA and my orange Matchbox General Lee straightnin' the curves and flatnin' the hills of our green shag carpeted living room floor.

Then, riding my orange bike the next morning through autumn leaves as fast as I could at our rural Hall County farm, trying to get them to fly up in the air like Bow and Luke did as they tore through rural Hazard County. Yes, I would yell "Yee-Haa" too!

Today's ride reminded me of those early fall boyhood adventures. And while I denied yelling "Yee-Haa" today, I admit I did look back after plowing through drifts of dry leaves on the trail to see if they would fly up behind me like they did over 25 years ago... Sure enough, they did! "Yee-Haa!" (Oops! Did I say that out loud?)

Sure the weather is a little 'iffy' this time of year, but here's hoping you'll find some time to get outdoors for a little nostalgic fun, just be sure to get home in time to watch 'The Dukes'. Today's rural ride and trip to church = 39.94 miles.

1 comment:

  1. It seems that every season except Mud Season is my favorite when it happens. I love Fall riding. The leaves clear out so I can see the vistas I miss when everything is green. The cooler air is kinder to my lungs and Fall means it is time for night rides. I love night rides.

    When I kick up a few leaves on tonight's ride, I'll think of you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails