Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The 100 mile Nacho Ride!

Had the day off so I took the long route to Eagle for the Nacho Ride.

I made up some sandwiches and headed into a stiff S.E. wind across Holmes Lake and down the Antelope Creek Trail to Hwy. 2 then East to the Bennet exit.

I went South through Bennet, but needed some water.

Low and behold, about two miles outside of town this hydrant was ready to fill my water bottle and I was good to go.

I pulled into Panama feeling tired of the wind and ready to eat.

Their park was a good place to catch my breath and rest a little.

Downtown Panama.

Got to turn West and cruse into Holland with the wind, lots of nice new homes and acreages.

I needed water again, and sure enough a hydrant at the cemetery outside of Holland was at my beckon call.

I then continued North West into Hickman to find this bait shop on the South side of town.

I was surprised to find that Hickman had a really nice trail system.

I took some time to explore their trails. Their really neat and Hickman should be real proud of them.

An overgrown windmill along the road.

After Hickman I continued West till I got to the Homestead Trail and jumped on it going North back into Lincoln. I took it to the Jamaica North Trail then on the Rock Island Trail to the Zoo, then took the Billy Wolff East. By this point I had about 50 miles, the Nacho Ride from my house is almost 30, so I figured I'd ride a bit more and see if I could get a century in today.

I continued East down the Antelope Creek Trail to Hwy. 2 again, then turned around and took it back toward the house, I threw in a lap around Holmes Lake and then home for about a 1/2 hour break before leaving for the Nacho Ride.

On the Nacho Ride I saw lots of regulars and some 1st timers too. Even several Taco Ride regulars came out of Omaha to Nacho Ride tonight. I met up with my personal trainer / blog photographer as well as my pit crewman. By now, I knew that if I went strait home I'd be about 5 miles short of a century, so my personal trainer / blog photographer suggested we ride the Mopac another 2 1/2 miles East of Eagle after supper at the One Eye'd Dog Saloon to tack on the 5 miles I needed. My pit crewman offered to join us. Lucky for me! Because when we walked out of the OED my front tire was flat. We headed for the aircompress0r at Casey's, patched the tube and were good to go.

By the time I got home it was dark and we were using our lights, but by golly, I did it. This is my 3rd (and FINAL!) century this year. It was a fun, albeit tiring, day.

Today's miles = 100.23

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails